Frequently Asked Questions
What should I bring to the ski school?
- If you have a ski that you regularly ski on, you should bring it with you. You will get the most benefit from your lesson if you are able to ski on a ski that you are familiar with. If you do not own a ski, we have skis that you may use. Bring your bathing suit, towel and gloves. You may also contact Miami Ski Nautiques at (305)438-9464 email: email@example.com
Will I learn to run the slalom course in one lesson?
- It has been done! However, you will be given instruction and told the fundamentals of running the course and the instructor will watch you and critique your technique. You will then apply what you have learned and take home the valuable information given during your visit to McGinnis WaterSki.
What boats do you use?
- We have Correct Craft Ski Nautique 200 series with Zero Off.
What are your hours?
- We are open from 10am until 6pm. We are closed on New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Please email ahead to make sure we are open as we close for vacation during the year.
Will there be lots of really good skiers there and will I feel intimidated?
- In the water ski world there are many great skiers, however the beginner and intermediate skiers far outnumber the masters of the sport. Yes, you will see some great skiing, but you will fit right in with all the levels of skiers that come to our lake. To become a champion in this sport, you have to spend a lot of time on the water and devote your life to the sport and only a small amount of the water ski population are able to do this.
If I stay on site, will there be other things to do in the area, as my body will not be able to handle skiing all day?
- Yes, there are many things to do in the area, see our area page, you will be able to set your own schedule and determine how much skiing you would like to do. Each day can be different, we are flexible and want you to have a wonderful time with us.
How do I make a reservation?
- If you want to stay on site and ski with us , e-mail, text or call us to find out if the house rental is available. Or check out house rental calendar. If however, you want to stay off site at a hotel and want to come and ski while you are in the area you may do that. Decide how much skiing you want to do and what time you want to ski and we will make reservations for you. Please plan to arrive approximately 15 minutes before your appointment. Please try to make your ski reservation ahead of time, this way you will get to ski the days and times of your choice. Our busiest times are Easter, Christmas, and Thanksgiving.
Do you have any package rates?
- We have been in the business a very long time and have learned that skiers generally want to do a lot more skiing than their bodies can handle. Instead of charging you for, say 4 to 5 ski sets a day, we charge by the time on the water. This means from the time the boat leaves the dock to the time you return to the dock. This way you only pay for what you ski. To calculate your cost, total up the amount of skiing you will do. Remember do not overbook as you will end up paying for skiing that you will not be able to take.
What's the water and air temperatures throughout the year, and will I need a wetsuit?
- From March to end of May the water temperature is about 82 degrees, June through September the water will be about 88 degrees, October, November, December the temperature will be 80 degrees and January, February the temperature will be in the mid to low 70's. The air temperature in the summer is the high 80's to low 90's. Its wonderful and feels just luxurious to ski in, you will never be too hot around the lake. Click here for local weather.
What is your address and contact phone numbers?
- We are located at 2421 SW 46th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33317, USA. Our phone number is 954-214-2792. E-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org if you get voice mail we are probably out on the lake and cannot answer your call, please send us an email or text and we will answer as soon as we can.
I have seen lightening, is it safe for me to ski?
- McGinnis WaterSki does not provide lightening protection therefore it is imperative that each skier make their own decision whether they wish to go out onto the water and ski. We never insist someone skis if they think they may be in danger.
Are there any alligators in the lake?
- This is a frequently asked question. We check all the time for alligators, there are no alligators in our lake, we make sure they are not in our waters, we check at night with a spotlight. No one wants to ski with alligators.